- Great White Way
nouna street in Manhattan that passes through Times Square; famous for its theaters• Syn: ↑Broadway• Instance Hypernyms: ↑street• Part Holonyms: ↑Manhattan
* * *nounUsage: usually capitalized G & both WsEtymology: from the Great White Way, nickname for the theatrical section of Broadway in New York City: a street brilliantly lighted at night and devoted chiefly to public amusements (as theaters)
their Great White Ways flooded with pleasure-seekers — Yale Review
theaters flanking a dozen Great White Ways — Landscape
* * *the theater district along Broadway, near Times Square in New York City.
* * *Great White Way noun1. A nickname for Broadway in New York2. Any brightly lit street with theatres, etc• • •Main Entry: ↑great
* * *Great White Way,the brightly lighted theater district along Broadway, in the Times Square area of New York City.
* * *a nickname for Broadway
* * *a name for Broadway in New York City that refers to the many bright lights of its theatres
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Great White Way — Broadway, in New York City, in the neighborhood chiefly occupied by theaters, as from about 30th Street to about 50th Street; so called from its brilliant illumination at night. [Webster 1913 Suppl.] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
Great White Way — the Great White Way a ↑nickname for ↑Broadway in New York City, which is called this because of the large number of bright lights along it … Dictionary of contemporary English
Great White Way — Great′ White′ Way′ n. geg sbz the theater district along Broadway, near Times Square in New York City … From formal English to slang
Great White Way — ☆ Great White Way the brightly lighted former theater district in New York City, on Broadway near Times Square … English World dictionary
Great White Way — As the clusters of New York theatres moved northward from Fourteenth Street in the 1880s, they reached Times Square in the mid 1890s just when the new electric street lighting began to be supplemented by electric signs. The Astor Hotel at 41st … The Historical Dictionary of the American Theater
Great White Way — the theater district along Broadway, near Times Square in New York City. * * * … Universalium
Great White Way — New York City’s theatrical section of Broadway … Eponyms, nicknames, and geographical games
Great White Way — noun the theatre district in New York, situated near Times Square … Australian English dictionary
Great White Way, the — the area of New York City where most of the theaters are … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
the Great White Way — US informal + old fashioned : a street in New York City where there are many theaters : broadway Her show debuted on the Great White Way. • • • Main Entry: ↑white way … Useful english dictionary